Trying to navigate a busy airport, particularly with young children, can be a real challenge at the best of times. Kids waiting for a flight will find it hard to sit still for a long period of time despite electronics and bribes.
As a parent, I know that kids can be difficult to control especially when bored. However, there are some parents who don’t even attempt to manage their kids. Few things are more grating than small children running around and screaming. What’s even worse is when no real attempt is made for them to use their “inside voice.”
With a little preparation, you can ease airport boredom for kids with a little play action.
Here is a list of 9 US airport play areas for children:
#1 Portland Airport (PDX)- Number of play areas: 2
- Near the D/E security checkpoint, pre-security
- Concourse C near gate C17 beyond the security checkpoint
#2 Boston Logan International Airport – Number of play areas 3
- Terminal A- post-security in the Satellite building by Gate 18
- Terminal B- post-security near Gate B29.
- Terminal C- post-security in the area prior to Gate 25.
#3 Seattle-Tacoma International Airport– Number of play areas: 1
Location: Across from Seattle Tap Room between Central Terminal and A gates
#4 Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)– Number of play areas: 1
Location: Terminal A-East
#5 Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW)– Number of play areas: 7
Locations: All play areas are located at McNamara Terminal.
- Concourse A has four play areas
- Concourse B has two play areas
- Concourse C has one play areas
#6 Chicago O’Hare International (ORD)
Location: “Kids on the Fly” is around the corner from Gate F1 in Terminal
#7 Las Vegas McCarran International Airport (LAS)- Number of play areas: 1
- D Gates, Level 2 above the rotunda
#8 Minneapolis-St. Paul airport (MSP)- Number of play areas: 2
- Concourse C at Terminal 1-Lindbergh
- Level 2, inside security, at Terminal 2-Humphrey
#9 San Francisco International Airport (SFO)- Number of play areas: 2
- Terminal 3, Boarding Level F near Gate 87A
- Terminal 2, near Gates 54A and 58B
UPDATED January 10, 2019