Have you ever been stuck at the airport, feeling hungry, and there are absolutely no healthy food options in sight? This is an all-too-common problem for airport travelers across the world, but things are getting better.
We’re starting to see better restaurants and grab-and-go spots opening where you can find properly prepared, healthy and nutritious meals.
Eating well while traveling is one of the best ways to ensure you have a healthy, happy trip, as our food affects our mood and energy levels. We can’t wait to try some of the new healthy food options from a new offering called Eat Well. Travel Further.
New healthy food hits North American airports this summer
HMSHost officially launched healthy food initiative Eat Well. Travel Further. this summer with a variety of bento boxes, health-forward snacks and beverages.
They started with Eat Well. Travel Further. pop-ups last summer which met with huge success, so they’ve officially launched their products at a number of airports across North America this summer, and will continue expanding to more airports.
Aligning with the latest health food trends, the offerings aren’t something travelers might expect to find in an airport. They range from travel-friendly bento boxes themed around the latest eating trends, such as Paleo and Protein boxes, to probiotic beverages such as Kombucha. They’re even testing out a Vegan Lunch Box and a Junior Wholesome Box at select airports.
Check out these delicious healthy bento boxes
Junior Wholesome Box (currently testing at Chicago O’Hare, LAX, and Charlotte Douglas International Airport)
Vegan Bento Box (currently testing at Chicago O’Hare, LAX, and Charlotte Douglas International Airport)
Paleo Snack Box
Protein Lunch Box
Paleo Lunch Box
New healthy snacks
The Eat Well. Travel Further. initiative has also introduced some healthy snacks like fruit and veggie chips (apple, banana, kale), chickpea snacks, trail mix, and nut bars.
Bento boxes start at $9.99 and snacks and beverages range from $2.29 to $7.99.
Eat Well. Travel Further. makes 3 promises about the healthiness of their food:
- 500 calories or less per serving – to energize you with delicious nutrient-dense foods without excess calories to slow you down
- No artificial colors/flavors/sweeteners – to support your quest to eat “cleaner” by avoiding FD&C colors, artificial flavors and artificial sweeteners
- No hydrogenated fats or high fructose corn syrup – to fuel your journey to a healthier lifestyle with more wholesome ingredients
You can find Eat Well. Travel Further. offerings at 11 airports across the US:
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport
- Chicago O’Hare International Airport
- Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport
- McCarran International Airport
- Los Angeles International Airport
- General Mitchell International Airport
- Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport
- Nashville International Airport
- Newark Liberty International Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport
They plan to expand to more airports over time.
We’re most excited to try the new protein and vegan lunch boxes, apple chips and chickpea snacks! Which of these tasty lunches and snacks are you itching to bite into on your next trip? Let us know in the comments below and don’t forget to tag us #ITravelWell to share all your healthy airport food finds.