Seven therapy dog programs are now back at airports in the US.
According to Vane Research, at the beginning of 2020, there were 72 Therapy Dog programs at US airports. Furthermore, 15 therapy dog programs were launched in 2019.
However, due to current conditions that include budgetary constraints, personal distancing, and low passenger numbers, many airports have stopped until more favorable conditions return. But some airports have reopened their programs; see our list below.
Seven Airport Therapy Dog Programs have now relaunched in the US.
1. The dog program at Punta Gorda Airport resumed in July on a trial basis, and it was so well-received that their K-9 Comfort Crew is now back in full swing. Even with everyone wearing masks and following guidelines, the handlers, passengers, and staff feel the love and appreciation.
The airport therapy dog schedule at Punta Gorda for this September is Sunday the 20th at noon; Saturday, October 10 at 1:30 pm; Saturday, October 24 at 1:45 pm and Saturday, November 7 at 1:45 pm.
2. The therapy dogs at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport have been back at the terminals since June 29, 2020. The dogs are scheduled on weekdays in two shifts, 9 am-11 am and 12 pm-2 pm.
3. On August 5, 2020, three Hospitality PAWS teams at Fort Wayne International Airport, Murphy, Dana, and MiniMoo, made their first visits to the airport since March.
The Hospitality PAWS program has been on hold over the last few months. So we are thrilled they have reunited with traveling passengers.
The teams will be making their rounds at the airport once a week during quieter times.
4. Also, Philadelphia International Airport therapy dog Casey, a member of the Wagging Tails Brigade therapy dogs program, is now visiting the airport for the first time since March.
Casey provides a friendly, furry face for those traveling and working at the airport. To learn more about Casey’s return and watch a video, click here.
More airports are opening up their therapy dog programs.
5. Reno-Tahoe International Airport, P4P (Paws 4 Passengers) teams will be roaming around the airport on September 18th, 20th, and 27th from about 10 am-3 pm.
6. After four months of being absent, the therapy dog program at Appleton International Airport resumed in July. The airport program is a partnership with the Fox Valley Humane Association.
“Our therapy dogs and their owners are looking forward to being back in the Appleton Airport terminal greeting passengers and offering support to travelers,” said Vicki Prey, FVHA executive director. “Partnering with Appleton Airport has been a great experience for our therapy dogs and their owners.”
7. This September 9, John Wayne Airport’s AirPAWS Therapy Dog Program is back in the terminal. The dogs are making travel a lot less “ruff” and a lot more “PAWs-itive.”
Want to learn more about therapy dogs at airports? Follow us for the latest updates on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.