Sydney’s new airport hotel is not the usual drab stop over with mediocre amenities and uninspiring decor. Oh, how things are changing for the airport hotel! We couldn’t be more excited about that.
What makes a good airport hotel? For us, it’s convenience and amenities that can help us relax and renew. We love swimming pools, the spa, and gyms!
Fantastic design is also key to an inspiring stay as well. We believe that carefully considered airport hotel design can positively impact and improve the health and wellbeing of travelers.
Sydney’s new airport hotel Felix evokes the golden era of air travel. It’s got 1960s-inspired décor, original artworks, a fitness center and an outdoor rooftop cinema. The vibe feels more “art” than “airport” hotel.
Why we think Sydney’s new airport hotel is so cool
1. Ultra trendy. A stay at Felix begins in the Penthouse, where you’ll find both the reception desk and dining area on the top floor.
2. Rooftop view of arriving and departing flights at nearby Sydney Airport.
3. A 24-hour gym, Felix Athletic Club, is an impressive spot to get a quick work out. They offer a drop-in gym pass for $21 which can be used 24 hours a day.
4. An outdoor rooftop cinema. We adore outdoor cinemas and the kind of atmosphere they create. Think community space, sharing and relaxing.
They play two movies daily. One for the kids (and the whole family) at 6pm, and one at 8:45pm (aimed at more the 15+ age group). The movies change daily.
While they don’t offer guests the ability to play their own films (we asked), hotel manager Simon Farr told us they are “happy to take requests and do their best to accommodate for guests in advance of their stay.”
5. Blackout curtains. Because after a long-haul flight, you’re going to want a good night’s sleep. In addition to booking overnight, the airport hotel offers day use of their rooms. The day rate is $125, and guests get access between 9am and 5pm.
The hotel is located just a 7-minute walk, or a 2-minute drive, from the domestic airport terminal. It’s a short ride away from the international terminal, too.
6. Pet friendly. We love hotels that are welcoming to our best furry friends, too!
Drab airport hotels are on the way out
That awkward, must-avoid stopover is a thing of the past at Sydney’s new airport hotel. The 150 rooms at the Felix have four different categories: economy, premium economy, business and first class.
The Felix hotel is a beautiful space where guests can feel happy spending their time. This fun, design-forward hotel feels nothing like an airport hotel. It feels like you’ve stumbled onto the set of Catch Me If You Can, and we are loving it.
Have you been to this new airport hotel? Tell us what you thought!